Monday 17 October 2011

Fitting dynamo and lights to the Guv'nor

From the moment I bought the Guv'nor, I've been thinking of accessories to fit to it 'to make it mine'.

Among the accessories fitted were a set of S/S mudguards. These guards are very well made and add to the classic look of the bike but a short time ago I ran the car into the back guard causing a dent, although not really noticeable, it still annoyed me.

My problem was to either buy a new set (very wasteful) or fit a reflector. I just couldn't find what I was looking for.

I remembered the B&M mudguard lights I admired some time ago but these were for use with a dynamo, so I ordered a dynamo, with a front and back light set and fitted them last Saturday evening.


The dynamo came without a mounting bracket and nothing seemed suitable so I had to make one out a couple of pieces of stainless steel. Although not neat at the minute, it will polish up well and with the packing, shouldn't damage the frame.

I am delighted with the system and the feel of the dynamo adds to the to the overall effect of this path racer and definitely gives the bike a vintage look.

The lights are very effective and once pedaling stops, small LEDs in both lights keep active for about 5 minutes. A safety feature when stopped at junctions etc.

Overall I think this is a very good accessory and I can go out anytime without worrying about batteries. I will still have my B&M Ixon IQ fitted but only use it in really dark places.

The photos below show the individual components.










No comments:

Post a Comment