Thursday 20 October 2011

My bikes

I have four bicycles in my collection, a Focus sports, a Pashley Moulton APB, a Moulton Esprit and my most recent one, a Pashley Guv'nor.

For years I walked a lot, mostly hill walking until I hurt my foot badly, this turned out to be Planter Fasciitis and my walking more or less had to stop.

As I was into keeping fit I needed to keep the exercise up so I thought of cycling. For weeks I looked on the internet at various bicycles and became interested in a Moulton APB. I ordered a Dual Drive 24 and within a week I was on the road riding around with a smile on my face.

The bike was very comfortable and in 2 years I probably put about 3,000 miles on it.

The next bike I got was a Focus Ergoglide, again after research on the internet. I wanted to try a racer and the test reports for this bike were favorable, the riding position was more relaxed than a normal racer.

I had a lot of enjoyment on this bike but it seemed bland and nothing special. I fitted a shorter stem, a Brooks Swift saddle and handlebar tape. While comfortable on smooth road surfaces anything else would have vibration onto my arms which wasn't comfortable so back to the drawing board, well the internet.

My next purchase was the Moulton Esprit direct from the factory. Talking to Shaun Moulton and finding out he had a 'demonstrator' for sale I jumped at it. Within four weeks the bike arrived, a brand new bicycle in Steely Grey colour.

When I opened the box, my heart dropped, especially when Patsy said "that's a funny looking bike' but once I started riding it I knew it was special. The ride was so comfortable and relaxed and very nippy.

A couple of weeks after getting the bike I joined in a 30 mile charity ride and the riding was exhilarating. I was passing seasoned cyclists on hills to gasps of amazement. This bike is definitely is a keeper.

Earlier this year I bought the Guv'nor and loved it straight away. Different from the Moulton but exciting in its own way. Another keeper.

With these two bicycles the others didn't get ridden again and the Focus, I gave to a friend who loves it to bits. The APB, I let another friend use it.

I hate having bikes and not riding them.

So that's my story and I have enjoyed cycling ever since. In the future I hope to try out a mountain bike and would love to try a tadpole trike too, but at the minute I am very content with these two bikes, the Odd Couple.

Little and Large or the Odd Couple




Focus Ergoglide




Moulton APB DD24

No comments:

Post a Comment