Saturday 8 October 2011

Moultoneering to Donaghadee


The alarm chirped and from a deep sleep Patsy switched it off in a flash before it alarmed, 5.45am on a Saturday morning.

Fifteen minutes later I was up, having my breakfast, lazing around, getting washed and finally putting my clothes on. Sasha, outside the bathroom door waiting expectantly but as soon as she saw my cycling gear she put on a pitiful look which I ignored. We had a two hour strenuous hike to Scrabo and Killynether last evening so now it was the turn of the Moulton.

The morning was cold and the darkness just starting to lift when I pulled the Moulton out of the garage, lifting it past the car and parking it against the back wall of the house.
Getting things organised, water, banana, helmet etc. I left home about 7.40am and headed towards the Scrabo road roundabout along the new road to the Portaferry road.

I am on call this weekend so I decided on a short trip of about 20 miles to Millisle and Donaghadee, so if necessary I could be home within an hour.

Although cold, within a couple of miles I started to heat up. I wore my Gore soft cell jacket, Gore shorts and my Chrome cycle shoes. Over the shorts I wore a pair of Altura cycling trousers due to the coldness. I also wore my new Altura waterproof gloves without the liner. These gloves were changed for mitts later.

Heading down the Portaferry road I turned into Finlays road then onto the Ballyblack road. I had warmed up rightly and was thoroughly enjoying the journey, the small wheels on the bike spinning freely, the suspension absorbing the road surface and giving a very smooth ride. The Brooks B17 saddle adding further to the comfort.

The roads have a good mixture of hills and flats and being not too wide with bends, the cycling wasn't at all boring.

Within a short time traveling on different roads I reached the seaside town of Millisle and headed along the coast to Donaghadee.

A lovely spot in Donaghadee is the Commons, a leisure area for walking, cycling, watching the view or whatever activities the council have.


A lovely coastal view


The Commons has this playground for children


The harbour


Donaghadee lifeboat station


A more compact view of the harbour

The seaside town itself


My Moulton Esprit
After spending longer than expected in Donaghadee I started heading for home. My route home was back along the Ballyvester road and back to the Ballyblack road where I met a couple of friends, David and Tom.
We stopped for a short time and had a bit of craic. I took a couple of photos and bid them safe journey, they were starting out on a 30 mile tour. I would have loved to have joined them but had to get home.


David and Tom 

Robert

Robert and Tom

Just after leaving the boys, a cyclist waved at me with great enthusiasm, I waved back and noticed a car close behind him. Looking up I saw a movie camera pointed at me. I later found out a famous Ards cyclist Billy Kirk was going to have a documentary made about him. You never know, perhaps a couple of seconds showing the only moultoneer in these parts will be added too.

On the way home I was starting to feel drained so I rode up to Ballyblack Church and had a banana and  drink.




Back home and just in the door when the phone rang, a callout to Larne, talk about timing.

This is just a little of bit of my cycling and as you can tell I have a love for it as well as the Ards peninsula.

Patsy just lets me get on with it, she knows where I'd be and is happy doing her own thing, running around the shops, spending money and having coffee.




No comments:

Post a Comment